fbpx

01900 606446

Exam Performance

header-10.png

Exam Performance

GCSE Results

KS4 

2016 UTC

2017 UTC

 National

Progress 8

-0.69

-0.27

 

Attainment 8

36.7

44.5

44.2

4+ Eng & Math

58.0%

69.7%

63.3%

EBACC

4.0%

11.8%

23.5%

Energy Coast UTC is showing great progress towards it’s goal of becoming an Outstanding School. Despite only being able to influence the education of the students for two of the five years schools are judged on students are making broadly similar levels of progress to their peers.

In addition to very pleasing results in Maths and English students performed well in other areas of the curriculum.  Pass rates at C+ in key subjects are all improved on prior year and much higher than national achievement levels.

Engineering – 95% (National 70%)

Maths – 79% (National 69%)

English – 82% (National 68%)

Science – 75% (National 68%)

Post 16 Engineering results continued the trend of excellence with 100% pass rate and a whopping 93% achieving Distinction or better.

 

Regarding Progress 8 scores, both Ofsted and the Department of Education have agreed that Progress 8 is not an appropriate measure for UTCs. Students join and embark upon their educational journey with us from Year 10; therefore we can only influence two of the five years which Progress 8 measures. To judge UTCs upon such measures in relation to other schools who are responsible for 5 years of a student’s education is irrelevant.

What is important to note is the progress that students make for the time they are entrusted within our care across Years 10 and 11. Student progress is above ‘expected’ for the two years students are with us; they make much more progress during the two years they are educated at Energy Coast UTC than students nationally over the same two year period. Across many subject areas such as Engineering, Construction and English progress is exceptional.

 

The school’s EBACC attainment levels are low primarily because the curriculum design of the college has a different focus to mainstream education. The following is a quotation form the OFSTED handbook.

UTCs that offer key stage 4 to pupils aged 14 to 16 provide a specialist technical and professional education. Pupils who attend these institutions choose to specialise in a technical or professional area at age 14. Each of these types of school should consider carefully whether its specialist curriculum is compatible with the full EBacc. Where it is, they should offer the EBacc subjects and should consider on a case-by-case basis whether pupils should be entered for them.

However, the DfE will continue to publish the same data for all institutions included in the key stage 4 performance tables to enable parents to compare education settings based on a common set of clear and transparent performance data.

 

Post 16 Results

KS5

2016 UTC

2017 UTC

 National

English resit Progress

1.14

0.82

TBC

Maths resit Progress

n/a

1.29

TBC

KS5 average grade

D

C+

TBC 

PROGRESSION

Y11

Y12

Y13

Student numbers

120

45

31

Progressing at UTC

64 (53%)

22 (49%)

-

Apprenticeships

32 (27%)

12 (27%)

25 (81%)

Further Education

20 (17%)

8 (18%)

1 (3%)

Higher Education

0

0

2 (6%)

Employment

1 (1%)

1 (2%)

3 (10%)

Unknown

3 (2%)

2 (4%)

0

Destinations for UTC students are promising - 69 students obtained apprenticeships upon leaving Energy Coast UTC in 2016

In 2017, 88% of students obtained apprenticeships.

in 2018, 80% of students obtained apprenticeships. The remaining 20% went on to further education or into employment.

A link to the national performance tables can be found here

https://www.compare-school-performance.service.gov.uk/school/140600

Follow Us